If selecting a running mate is a real test of a presidential candidate's judgment, then John McCain's decision to name Sarah Palin as his choice reveals a poor sense of astuteness and serves to underline his desperate political expediency.
Beyond the much taunted image of a maverick, his critics argue McCain's decision has once again exposed his opportunistic tendencies.
They draw an unflattering profile of a spoiled son of a Navy admiral who misused the good name of his political guru and predecessor in the Senate, the late Barry Goldwater, and who callously left his first wife and children to marry into a $100 million fortune.
And this time, by choosing Palin, he betrayed all of that which he preached over the last 18 months - even 18 years.
"Barack Obama can start writing his inauguration speech," wrote me an informed friend the night McCain held his first appearance with Governor Palin.
I am not sure I would go that far.
But I am no longer sceptical about an Obama victory in light of McCain's decision to offer the vice presidency to the unknown and inexperienced governor of Alaska merely because she is a conservative woman.
If the McCain-Palin list survives the next two months with no dramatic surprises, the Republican nominee will suffer in the polls because of his hasty decision.
Transparent cynicism
The politics behind the decision is so "transparent" and "cynical", that it left most female commentators around the country dismayed, bitter, an even insulted.
Calling Palin his "soul mate" has only added insult to injury.
Women might pay attention to the nomination, one commentator wrote, but they won’t give her the vote.
Palin who ran the Miss Alaska beauty contest has been ridiculed as a lucky bimbo.
She is seen as the "Miss Congeniality" governor who held her hair up and put on reading glasses to look serious.
Her anti-choice position on abortion will end up distancing most women who supported Hillary Clinton.
So why did McCain choose the young governor?
Well, she reflects will for fresh change on the part of the old McCain; she is popular in her state of Alaska especially after taking on corrupted officials - some from within her own Republican party.
She is an ardent supporter of offshore oil drilling which appears to be supported by three out of every four Americans in a year when energy has become an important election issue.
And unlike the other proposed choices, Palin is a Christian social conservative that appeals to most of the hardcore evangelical base of the Republican Party.
However, each and every one of those pluses is marginal compared to the downside of her candidacy.
By Marwan Bishara, Al Jazeera's Senior Political Analyst, in Washington
Ok, you can stop smiling now. No, I mean it! M.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
What Palin says about McCain
Posted by
The Merovingian
at
12:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I would have expected this from "Al chili." On a side note, Al Jazerra can play it straight. Former KRGV Cameron County Bureau Chief Viviana Hurtado worked for them recently.
Wes Blackmum
What I get from this, whether I agree with it or not, Al Jazerra seems be involved in our political process. Remember this is the CNN/Fox of the middle east - this is what they are reading in Arabic newspapers
Bobby WC
Looks like fair analysis to me particularly when you look at the over-committed, and therefore unobjective, analysis by our own media.
McCain was on the verge of getting blown out of the water, (no Navy pun intended) and had do something.
Obama blinked first by not choosing Hillary, which gave McCain the opening he desperately needed.
Stan, the coverage has been all over the place. I have seen hero worship, balance and outright hate; all within eame broadcast.
Regular Americans (Silet Majority)see Al Jazerra as the news arm of Bin Laden and his ilk, true or not.
Seems like they favor Obama. That's great news for McCain.
I hope they continue their support.
"Regular Americans (Silet Majority)see Al Jazerra as the news arm of Bin Laden and his ilk, true or not."
I like this because this is how people think - true or false - so this could influence how people vote -
When you try to predict people's actions you look to their misconceptions not to reality.
I think Rogelio hit an impostant point
BObby WC
Different Topic: No one has mentioned much about the latest city commission meeting. During the tax rate public hearing, Cabler asserted not a single penny of the budget went to "increasing manpower." The lone ranger Alex Resendiz later ridiculed it.
During his exchange with city staff, Commissioner Rick Longoria took the opportunity to take him to task by calling him "Pat's Boy" to which the Mayor took offense.
A few weeks ago the blog hooplah centered around a digital deragatory comment credited to Commissioner Atkinson, who could plead someone hijacked his computer. However, here, video proof exists of Longoria's shameful comments.
I am no expert on the origins of words or phrases. It seems to me that "boy" is a deragatory word especially to African Americans in the South. It could be taken as a sexual orientation slur. Is Resendiz inferior or a subordinant of Ahumada? The comment was hugely disrespectful to both Ahumada and Resendiz.
No outcry whatsoever over this. Maybe I am just overly sensitive after the Faggot episode. I await the attacks from the anons for changing the subject.
Wes Blackmum
WB,
You are right. Longoria's comment was extremely disrespectful. It was an example of how citizens become collateral damage to the petty battles between political cliques. I don't think Longoria meant to insult Resendiz. I think that filled with juvenile pride at having taken a shot at the mayor, it just didn't even occur to him how insulting and offensive his comments were.
Most people mature with age. Longoria seems to be going in the opposite direction. Last week he and Atkinson were behaving like high school kids, and this week he continues this new juvenile streak.
Patricia A.
"Pat's Boy" - so Pat is bisexual - 20 years after Saturday night live created the character we know the answer.
This is the first I heard of this. I was in SA.
Historically if you use the term with an African American it would be considered outrageous. But in politics it only means so and so's yes man.
I do believe it reflects the frustration on the Commission and the inability of Longoria to take the differences like a professional.
After years of watching Big Brother I have learned you can predict the final 4 - with rare exception they understand the game and take everything in stride - this year 3 of the 4 fit this pattern. Longoria can learn a thing or three from Big Brother.
Bobby WC
I was rereading this and it suddenly occurred to me.
Al Queda / Al Jazerra wants McCain elected as much as they wanted Bush re-elected in '04.
I mean, I am not afraid of Obama, nor Biden.
I am scared of McCain. At 72, he could likely still kick my butt. I am reserving comment on the VP for the moment.
Post a Comment