Drainage official envisions waterfall park
September 13, 2008 - 8:03PM
By Laura B. Martinez, The Brownsville Herald
.....He's kept the project pretty quiet to prevent the "politics" from getting involved, he said.
"If I would have politicized it, it would have bogged everything down," Gamez said. "There would have been too many personalities."
Gamez and Ayala are still tweaking the plans and the park's cost estimates. They plan to apply for additional grants to help pay for the park's construction. The work on the park will be performed by the drainage district employees.
Near the park area will be a large retention pond that will feed water into the lake so it doesn't go dry. The pond will also have gates that open and close that will prevent any over flowing. Extra water will be pushed back to the Rio Grande.
"Men can do this; women can do this if they sit down and relax. We can leave a nice little legacy here," Gamez said.
D-R-A-I-N-A-G-E
Look at the word.
The next thing will be to add taxi meters to police vehicles because they are out on the streets anyway, and at least it would be revenue producing. Who is paying for all those golf carts ferrying people to and fro? Who controls who gets hired for all the "support staff" for this "jewel"? Why are the drainage district employees doing all this work WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING ON DRAINAGE?
I thought the SPORTS PARK was supposed to be the next big "water park"? They are sure spending enough on it.
This is another board that needs to go AND NOW!!!
"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian
Monday, September 15, 2008
More pinche sneaky crap
Posted by
The Merovingian
at
9:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

33 comments:
I can sleep better at night knowing you and I agree on this waste of money and resources.
Drainage District 1 annexed much of soon to be former Commissioner Camarillo's district without a yea or nah from the first termer. Was this land grab designed to better its odds of winning a water park grant?
Carlos Ayala, Gamez's longtime friend, replaced Scott Frye as manager of the Drainage District. Was Frye unwilling to go along with Gamez's scheme? Or was Gamez unwilling to share the spoils with Frye?
Wes Blackmum
A key part of the problem is, how do we engage they people so that this type garbage is stopped? I am the only person I know who even reads the Herald. The people are in the dark and the politicos know it.
BObby WC
Tubby, you have issues. You have too high an opinion of yourself. I am the only person I know who even reads the Herald.
You are not "the only person who reads the Herald." Don't your city sources read the Herald? Your few friends or acquaintances who don't read the Herald is indicative of how you prefer having lowlife friends to make you feel better about your situation. It's a complex. Your condescending dribble has to stop. The next time you feel a need to opine might I recommend you don't! Spend your energy seeking professional psychiatric attention. Spare us the details. Tony.
Where was David Lopez, George Ferrish, Fernando Ruiz and everyone else for the last month? Why did they wait until September 15, 2008 to show up and speak their mind?
Why would Bob stand up and say "Former Commissioner" Cisneros' hotel tax question was productive? He has been in office for 7 years. He DIDN'T know that Brownsville was at its max and needed a special legislation to increase it. Why does he get reimbursed for his special trips if he doesn't know this?
"Former Commissioner" Camarillo supports another taxing district. Is he not suspicious of a DRAINAGE district working on a water park? After reading the story, creating another taxing district would be political suicide.
This is how it starts. Shirking their responsibility to another taxing district. Low and behold, the City needs more money for special pet projects. It will not be a net savings, e.g. the drainage district and public works for drainage.
How much financial contributions and support did the public safety unions give to the Mayor during his election campaign? He really wants pay them back with a 3 cent tax increase.
I am happy George Ferrish reads the blog and questioned the Cultural Arts Board and its tardy formation. Rick Romo questioned his presentation when they had held their end of the bargain last year and helped them out. No "Former Commissioner" Longoria you didn't hold up your end of the bargain.
You were supposed to involve the cultural district in the budget process. You dropped the ball. But this is not suprising from a disc jockey pretending to run for mayor. Rick Romo, don't wear a Cowboys jersey at a City Commission meeting. It's appauling!
The next time another public official tells one of the usual suspects to remove their hats, I am going to scream! Why don't they have some decorum? Wearing a jersey to a meeting is showing more disrespect than a hat!
Mero, I'm sorry for this long post. Watching this budget meeting is worse than having my teeth filled. I am changing the channel. I'm ready for some football.
Wes Blackmum
Booby is the only vato in brownsville that reads the paper. yeah right he is full of it. his blog is half speculation (incorrect speculation) and the other half is threatening to sue the citY.
Not that the ability to read the English language matters, but I said among the people I know - I did not say all of Brownsville - but the reality is the Herald's circulation has dropped and continues to drop which was the point - the people are unaware of the problems because the readership is so low.
As to my friends we do discuss the NY Times and Washington Post - you know there are other papers in the US.
Now how about avoiding the distraction and address the issue - how do we inform the people of what is happening if the average person does not read the Herald or watch the news?
Bobby WC
Actually I clicked on here to see if anyone was discussing the City COmmission meeting - did they have another fight over public comment?
Basically what happened?
I was at UTB until 7:30 and missed the show.
Bobby WC
As the last bullet was expended during the assembled circular firing squad, they decided to keep the rate the same as last year, which is actually a tax increase for all the reappraised property.
M.
not to be a stickler for typing, but you wrote "City COmmission".
The proper spelling is "City cOmmission".
Just trying to be helpful.
M.
Merov, sweat very sweat - I got a good laugh- so no tax increase other than the appraisals-
was anyone willing to call for any type specific way to reduce the budget or was it the same old BS.
Apparently they are running scared because they coward under pressure -
Bobby WC oh, again thanks for the laugh
I was passing on the minimalist synopsis that I received. Something tells me that no part of the 'vital spending' will be touched in any way.
The only other thing done was to approve some spending at....the Sports Park. These guys are all so toast!
And look! Gamez and Ayala went and stuck their heads up while the locals are in a head chopping mood. I wonder sometimes if I called my back yard a 'recreational park' if I could get hundreds of thousands to spend the way I wanted, and get it mowed for free.
M.
sweat very sweat Tubby has stuck. You responded. Why does everything have to be a bodily function with you Brokeback Mountain voyeur? Tony.
WHAT A GAME! I will duplicate this comment under this post and the airtime rant. Thanks for that Mero.
From Tuesday's Herald, "The approved budget included six new positions for the Brownsville Sports Park, but no salary increases for non-union employees, equipment, or special projects."
Ahumada claimed Monday and the City Manager claimed two weeks ago, the City "is not increasing manpower." Great find Emma!
I know Emma isn't doing this. But her article claims, "The present tax rate of .650517 cents per $100 of assessed valuation remains the same with the commission rejecting management's proposal to increase taxes by 3.2597 cents to .683114 cents."
City Management and the Mayor proposed to increase taxes by 4.2985 cents. Why is the new editor cowtowing to the Commission by not using the effective tax rate in the article?
No matter how they slice it, the Commission increased taxes. Mero was right. The Herald was wrong.
The Golf Center Fund expenditures for 2008 was only $865,085 if you don't include a mysterious "General Services and Contigency" expenditure of $145,693. This line item isn't included in 2009's budget. Why does City Staff believe the Golf Center will profit money when it has never profited in recent memory?
Wes Blackmum
Everyone knows that I have a penchant for naming things, and this "jewel" due to its location and historical significance deserves no less from me than my best efforts. After much cogitation and internal deliberation on the subject I believe that in the best interest of the community and taxpayers in general, the name for this project is......
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. GRAYWATER PARK
Tubby F. Said:(Not that the ability to read the English language matters, but I said among the people I know)
Tony Said:(Your few friends or acquaintances who don't read the Herald is indicative of how you prefer having lowlife friends to make you feel better about your situation.)
Tubby F., you need help. I was specifically talking about your lowlife friends. A distraction, you say? HA! You didn't raise an issue with your "people I know" statement. It was a sorry attempt by you to make it about YOU. Don't hide behind a false premise that it was about the Herald. Playing both sides of an argument is your M.O. Its obvious to newbies like me that this behavior is maddening to everyone who tries to hold an intelligent, honest dialogue with you. Using your preverted world view anyone who points faults in your arguments and "big fish in a small pond" complex is distracting. Grow a pair! Tony.
Because I am anal, and this will encourage Tony, while helping someone study for their anatomy test I realized I mispelled sweet and instead spelled sweat. Maybe freudian - who knows
sorry for the inconvenience guys.
If I understand your premise by having friends who read the NY Times and the Washington Post instead of the Herald - my friends must be low lifes. Makes sense to me - I concur
Bobby WC
Tubby F., your "friends" would appreciate being called a lowlife by you. If I understand your premise by having friends who read the NY Times and the Washington Post instead of the Herald - my friends must be low lifes No, it means you have no friends in Brownsville who read the Herald. Why do they care about NYC or Washington or the nation and forget about what is going on in their own backyard? Its because they are lowlifes in line at food stamp's office. Why are you so full of yourself? Do you wake up in the morning and say, "I feel like a total douchebag," when you look yourself in the mirror? And because I can't stand bloggers like you, I will give you a free lesson in truth in blogging. Sarah Palin fired a political appointee for insubordination. He had press conferences with powerful good ol' boy Republicans who didn't like Palin the reformer. He was angry over vetoes by the governor, who was eliminating wasteful spending. The nutroot in you doesn't understand budget cuts. You just hold your hand out and ask for more. Monegan didn’t file an ethics complaint, as the law would have required him to do, if he felt his termination violated state ethics laws. He should have filed one. Monegan attempted to circumvent normal budget channels to get his budget plan passed. He was not a team player for Palin, who was at liberty to remove him from his appointment. Traveling to Washington to seek funding for a project that Palin had not yet approved or disapproved is insubordination. It's kind of like your assistant going to the company's owner trying to get funding for a new coffee machine without you knowing about it. You just don’t allow that to happen without repercussions. But you wouldn't know that, you'd need a job to know that. BUH-Bye. Tony.
Tony, my love
So when I said that Sarah Palin was just as qualified as Obama and outlined her real experience in dealing with Russia and Canada I was wrong?
I was wrong when I was the first local blogger to come out against all of the initial nastiness against Sarah Palin?
So now I understand, you do not want anyone to question Sarah Palin.
If you read my blog, you know I always thank people who post responses such as the one you just posted in defense of Sarah Palin.
It is a great response. He was fired for not being a team player and ignoring her wishes, as the Governor - that would be a valid reason to fire someone.
Now of course if someone were to come in after you and post her comment to the New Yorker magazine, which was published before her selection as VP candidate, that he was not fired and they he quit after being asked to serve Governor Palin in another capacity - that would be what? - a liberal conspiracy to destroy Sarah Palin.
The point of my comment was the McCain campaign is not thinking out what it is saying. They should have kept it consistent with her earlier claims in the New Yorker.
For me it is interesting I get accused of ignoring reality when I defend Sarah Palin and I am just a Tubby when I challenger her.
Anyone who reads the BV on a regular basis knows I try to get people talking - your post would have added to the discussion - but instead you chose to go with Tubby.
Well once the Reputricans get done detroying this country, and people are starving - Tubby here will last longer than Twiggy. (is she dead yet?)
and Tony, everyone who reads the blogs knows the MO of the person who loves to refer to everyone in Southmost as lowlifes and on food stamps. The voice is a tad bit too familiar.
Merov, thanks for allowing us to have this chat.
Bobby WC
Tubby Faggot, back for more so soon? Aren't you a persistent nutroot. Why do you point to being the only blogger doing this and the only blogger arguing that? The electorate ignores you no matter what "your position" is because you have no position. “Your position” changes from minute to minute. And that is why you are not taken seriously. You told newbie Becky this very recently. So don’t try to dribble your way around it. You must take care of this personal problem before you tutor impressionable children. I don't know what compelled me to have this conversation with you. The outcome is predestined. I will win. You will lose by changing your mind and say that was my point all along. You are already sowing the seeds of your stalmate argument by claiming I only want to create dialogue. Rubbish. You can’t admit defeat. It's okay. We are all winners. That is what this generation is all about. "You lost, here’s your trophy." As for Palin "firing" or Monegan "resigning," it is common for political appointees to "resign" but actually be fired. Any politico knows this. But oh yeah, you read the Post and the Times. Let me see if I can explain this in terms you might understand. Recall “The West Wing,” probably your favorite show, since it was the fake White House for socialists during the early Bush Years. The Surgeon General character, a good friend of the first family, was fired but was asked for her resignation letter. Firing someone hurts the image of the Chief Executive. Resignation letters not so much. Yeah, it is common. It happens at workplaces quite often too. I forget you don’t work. So the quote in the bastion of freedom, the New Yorker, which you have NEVER mentioned, is pointless, moot, irrelevant, hollow, worthless, or a distraction. You have made it clear you are a blog dictator. How would my comment be of any value on your blog? It would be deleted or ignored because it doesn’t fit your small minded world view. Why am I not surprised you live in Southmost? Sometimes you just shoot, and you’ll hit something eventually. Your friends are lowlives because they are ignorant of the city they live in. It's not my fault. You picked them. Or rather, they don’t exist. It's okay. We are all winners. Night. Night. Tony.
he and bob share a brain they both moderate comments to argue their pov and delete everything else. if bobby can't win an argument ad nauseum he takes his ball and goes home!
Tony my love, you drain me - I'm spent
“Your position” changes from minute to minute. And that is why you are not taken seriously. You told newbie Becky this very recently."
Again that familiar voice which misquotes and takes things out of context.
If the BV is dribble why do you read it? Ah, an obsession - The first sign of emotional stability.
I find it curious that you believe someone is inconsistent if they praise someone for doing good, but then who is willing to challenge that same person for being bad?
Actually the 99.9% of the people who are not obsessed with me understand it is about promoting a diversity of ideas. You seem to have a really hard time with a diversity of ideas. You seem to have an obsession with only one idea and anything outside that idea causes trouble.
Again - you seem to have obsessions with people - once you love them - they can do no wrong, well unless they cross you. Once you hate them they can do no right.
When you accuse someone of being biased, it is an obsession of hate against that person, to then spin the response which points out they were the first to actually defend the person against whom you claim they are biased.
An obsession prevents an objective mind from focusing in on reality.
Yes we all know what, "I need to spend more time with my family means." It means you were fired or are being forced to retire.
But once Sarah Palin states someone was not fired, and then she comes back and states they were fired, well it opens the door to question her truthfulness.
Again reality.
When the McCain compaign then goes on to claim a Republican Legislative Committee is biased and partisan against Republican Palin, you seem to find this to be further evidence of their competence -
Your beloved McCain/Palin ticket is having a hard-time getting their hands around the Troopergate issue. The sad part is there may be nothing to defend, but when the McCain campaign changes the stated reason for why Monegan no longer has a job, and claims Republicans are partisan against Republican Palin -reasonable minds (meaning non-obsessive minds) will ask, say what?
I find it interesting that you believe only people who read the Herald care about or are involved in their community. I guess all the community volunteers who do not read the Herald do not care about their community. Ah again, we all know how Republicans feel about community organizers and volunteers.
Now to go back to my original question which you chose to respond to with distracting insults.
How do we get the people involved if they are not reading the Herald? Did you know more people (in the US) watch Univision news than all of the Engish speaking news progams combined?
It seems to be the finer points of the contradictions coming out of the McCain campaign which will never be known by the people -because again the people generally do not watch the news or read newspapers. McCain's advisors know this - so they do not fret.
We can only over come this if we can get the people engaged and reading newspapers again.
You did not address my original point about how do we engage the people, because an obsession for ignorance is what keeps you Tony my beloved, obsessed with anyone you believe has crossed you.
It is kind of like living in a fairytale land over the Atkinson family. An obsession. The BV is not an obsession with one person or idea - it is about a diversity of ideas and encouraging people to have ideas.
I do not like Obsession - such as all perfumes it makes me sneeze - I find taking a bath so much more pleasant than using a perfume to cover-up the filth.
Obsession, Tony believing that by calling me Tubby Faggot (no bias there) the BV readers (of which Tony is one) will all go away and he can then claim victory. Sounds like Bush's plan to win the Iraq war.
Bobby WC
The noise said: Becky, remember with my blog I like dialogue - which is why I enjoyed the chat with 100 words - people on all sides of the question were reading our discussion and forming their own opinions - these type discussions are good for critical thinking - a lot of times I respond in a way I believe will extend the discussion even though I may not agree with my own words.
Tony said: “Your position” changes from minute to minute. And that is why you are not taken seriously. You told newbie Becky this very recently.
The noise new claim: Again that familiar voice which misquotes and takes things out of context.
When I saw the first quote at the Brownsville Noise, in usual hog fashion I swiped it because I just knew I would need it one day.
As a very partial judge, I would have to say Tony is right. No taking out of context. Nope. Pretty plain as day. I too believe the noise’s opinions are worthless. And when the shoe is on the other foot to apologize, the noise won’t do it. It simply ignores it.
Wes Blackmum
talk about a discussion walking away from its topic.....
Tubby Faggot, as you can see, I am not the only one who believes your ideas are full of it. I knew you would argue next your "diversity of ideas for the sake of dialogue" bull shit. You do not have a diverse stance. You’d like to believe you do, but you don’t. You supported the idea of Palin. You want to be the first one to support her, so you can later say exactly what you are saying now (i.e. “I find it curious that you believe someone is inconsistent if they praise someone for doing good, but then who is willing to challenge that same person for being bad?” Translated: “I supported her, so I have a clear conscience when I criticize her with my fake belief system.”). You want to give this protector image of yourself. You will find any excuse to hold a one man gay pride parade down a lonely street wearing nothing but a diaper. That is how people see you. That is your problem, not mine. Don’t excuse yourself because you feel you supported Palin, pat yourself on the back, say "Good job, I am such a great fair thinker," and then feel liberated to chastise her when you feel the time is right. “99.9% of the people who are not obsessed” with you? You think people are obsessed with you? You are obviously not okay. You are a deranged, self-centered tubby. That I can remember some of your nonsense does not make me obsessed. For someone claiming not to be obsessed with something, you want to believe I am someone. There is no relationship between you and me except this “dialogue.” There is no hate between us. In fact, there is no emotion in what I say. I just don’t believe you and your bull shit. No fuss. No muss. You question Palin’s honesty, but you don’t question your honesty. How can anyone have an honest conversation about public policy with you knowing that you don’t believe what you are saying? Think about it. It’s an unfair conversation. Why bother with it? That’s a little sick. Right now, this is a fraudulent conversation based on your diversity of ideas bull shit. You know you are wrong but want to keep fighting a lost battle because that is who you are. If you are so keen on diversity of ideas, why are you fighting the largely held idea that you are full of it? It is a very diverse idea that you don’t share. Isn’t that what you are all about? My futile attempt yesterday to show you how dumb and disjointed your arguments are may not have helped you. It did, however, positively give others a more open and fair opportunity (outside of your biased blog) not to buy your shit. Random individuals glance at your blog because sometimes they’d like to think you have something to say. But when it turns out you have no concrete ideas or change at a whim for the sake of diversity, they stop. Keep thinking your blog is about diversity. We’ll keep knowing what it’s really about. It is opportunity to see a caged animal and wonder, “Will he throw a temper tantrum today?” Tony.
Now I get it, anyone who attempts to promote individual critical thinking is someone who always changes their mind. Someone who acts like a lemming for one political party or another is a great thinker.
Clear as day.
Bobby WC
one man gay pride parade down a lonely street wearing nothing but a diaper
Tony,
The noise has been served. Classic! Except you forgot the sash and drum major baton.
This song honors the occasion:
"Ding-dong the witch is dead
Which old witch? The wicked witch
Ding-dong the wicked witch is dead!"
Wes Blackmum
There has been a rash of gay-related hate crimes and violence in Nuevo Laredo. The machismo border culture is covering it up.
Hey jackasses, take your palin argument to a different blog. why don't you exchange phone numbers and spare us this rant. Back to the subject. the drainage district wasting our taxes on a park.
The ranting was entertaining. They were done three days ago.
What is you want to say about the drainage district? Do you have a point other than to make noise with your keyboard?
I gave my two cents on to the drainage district discussion long ago, so it isn't like I'm talking out of my ass, troll.
Wes Blackmum
I wasn't talking about your comments. I was talking about the rant btw bobbywc and the anony. did you notice the rfq for landscape architecture services that was put out in today's paper by the DD#1? What the heck do they need to secure services for a landscape architecture firm. by the time this whole park thing is done, i bet their tax rate is going to go through the roof.
Because I can be a complete asshole and because I know it will annoy the Noise (what doesn't?), I will rehash the rant.
Its origins was the Noise not knowing anyone who read the paper. The anony corrected him. So it did have something to do with the Herald's article. The conversation had a life of its own. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I'm a sick bastard.
And no, I didn't notice the RFQ you mention. I guess I don't read the paper either.
My theory on taxing districts are that they are a "scratch my back I'll scratch yours public monopoly." (Beware of the public safety taxing district) When DD1 annexed close to half of Brownsville last year, without a fight or peep from the City or other politicians, it gave itself extra revenue.
Why was it annexed? It was annexed supposedly because individuals in need of drainage approached Sofia Benavides and Rick "Romo" Longoria who in turn approached Neto Gamez's DD1 "firm."
With this new "wealth" the money must be spent. It is spent on "needed" projects that, I can only assume, their political friends or acquaintances have business ties with. Would it surprise you later to learn that the winner of this RFQ would be friendly with DD1 insiders or part of the political machine? I know I wouldn't be surprised. But then again, nothing surprises me anymore.
Wes Blackmum
"That's my view. And it happens to be correct."
Well, from an optimists viewpoint, it was annexed because the city and county have failed...for years and years and years, to enforce right-of-way, and/or clean the ditches in a consistent manner. they also have been lax in applying any rules that would require developers to mitigate the effects of their new developments on the already over burdened ditches in the southmost area. the DD1 has a great track record of doing all that i just said. and no, i am not talking about any of the above mentioned politicos efforts. i am talking about the boots on the ground. they are sharp and have been extremely effective in dealing with flooding and drainage enforcement since the district developed its own public works department back in 2000. now, unfortunately, under the new leadership of the former public works director of the city (yes, the one who couldn't enforce rights of way or clean the ditches who also happens to be best buds w/mr.gamez), the DD1 is embarking on a new chapter. a chapter of monuments to politicians (like this stupid water park) and a chapter of waste, corruption, theivery, and inefficiency. viva el distrito!!!
I am not an optimist club member. I can't be an optimist living in Brownsville which, like too many other small towns, is plagued with unbridled corruption.
As for the good DD1 has accomplished, you may be right except Southmost was not the only area that was annexed. What about the area around La Galaxia and parts south and west of the expressway which were annexed? Did they petition to be annexed? Was there a need there?
The boots have been effective because they have a small number of boots with not much ground to cover. Will they be effective now? I highly doubt it because they didn't ask to cover new ground. They were forced into the political situation of annexing more responsibility and land which should bother all of us.
Fewer boots equals more outsourcing and filling the pockets of local politicos.
The new responsibility will also include refocusing their district from drainage to those water monuments you speak of.
I couldn't agree with you more on the decision to hire Carlos Ayala after the firing or resignation of Scott Frye. Frye did an admiral job except he was unable to prevent the unneeded annexation. He was an engineer doing an unintended political job as manager.
Wes Blackmum
"That's my view. And it happens to be correct."
Post a Comment