Tuesday, September 9, 2008

This shouldn't have been necessary

Bob, you do it again at your peril.

I don't care if your friends fall under the paint of my brush. It is entirely their own fault that they do.

Don't you EVER EVER delete a post of mine that does nothing more than express a different point of view than your own.

M.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has been removing a lot of post of late.

Getting too sensitive.

He just reminds me of the King in the the children's story "The Emperor's New Cloths"

Anonymous said...

Bob's buddies at the City are busy deleting things too. They deleted public comments from the special meeting agenda in which action is occurring. Can anyone spell free speech violation?

One other thing, during last year's budget process, didn't the Commission adopt, in principle, Troiani's cultural arts board as a mechanism to stop the budget mess? Who dropped the ball? And why?

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

So much censorship, where has tranparency gone?

-Ralph

Anonymous said...

Long Update on tonight's City Commission meeting

A disturbed Rick Longoria and other commissioners sided with counsel. He stated no public comment could occur due to its absence from the official agenda. Citizen Alex Resendiz argued for the right to speak per city meeting rules only to be shot down.

Isn't it part of the template? Why did the City Secretary leave it out? Why has she been absent for the last couple of meetings? Later, possibly using a Southmost gang sign, Longoria said he "had it up to here" with Resendiz who appeared to be yelling from the audience.

Rarely does Resendiz support Ahumada, so there is no reason to believe Resendiz is Ahumada's "boy." During tonight's budget public hearing, Resendiz brought up Longoria's insult. Resendiz threatened to sue the City for their lack of respect towards him during the previous meeting. He was shouted down during most of his podium time.

The City and Longoria should be sued. His pattern of abuse as a city official during public forums towards Ressendiz, whose only crime seems to be his futile attempt at civic engagement, is reprehensible.

City Commissioners postured towards a smaller tax rate hike or no tax rate hike. No matter, since it is still a tax increase if they go above the effective tax rate. As Mero eloquently asserted, those pansies up for reelection will lose.

Wes Blackmum

BobbyWC said...

So what was the post? Curious minds want to know.

Bobby WC

BobbyWC said...

Wes I am suing. There has been a delay because of games by the city refusing to answer discovery.

Now, although mandated by the law, their attorney is refusing to accept service of subpoenas for Ahumada, Longoria and Atkinson to appear at the temporary injunction hearing.

On Thursday I hope to have filed the motion to compel their attorney to accept the subpoeanas.

One hand and other projects have me going slow.

The issue relates to our right to address the Commissioners personally. The law is black and white.

I am sorry I missed tonight's meeting. I was busy helping a friend study anatomy.

We shall see.

Bobby WC

Anonymous said...

Ahumada challenged the Commission to offer solutions to counter the tax increase they oppose so much. They didn't have much, except some vague mandate about cutting the budget. It seems they only involve themselves in the budget at the last minute to make vague suggestions about what they think might be potentially good ideas for future consideration. It doesn't seem to occur to them that if they vote on the budget on September 15, then on September 16 they should start to get acquainted with the process and the needs and services of each department so they can be prepared for next year.

Patricia A.

The Merovingian said...

So what was the post? Curious minds want to know.

Bobby WC


I stated that I would not tolerate this next election being the South Park episode of douche vs. turd sandwich.

I further remarked that one had already announced candidacy.

Not posting it through moderation; I could understand. Asking me to rephrase for a "G" audience; I could understand. I have been asked to temper my speech before, and complied willingly.

Realizing that his ineffective favorites fell under the same brush stroke, then hypocritically deleting it, claiming that children read his blog, (Oh, give me a break !) while he is covering politics,no less! That was to much, far too much personal agenda for me to stomach. Hence came the angry, emotional outburst from me.

I don't respond to everything I disagree with, nor toot the horn of everything that I do agree with. In this regard, he writes his slant at his peril. It doesn't take a board of college professors to compare our logic, clearness of thought, and ability to express coherent analysis in a written medium, in short his attempt to be a 'player' in Brownsville politics has exposed itself as nothing more than self aggrandizement with no true concern for the people, which makes me perhaps the most outraged.

Well, I guess that just about sums it up.

M.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Patricia!

This is a recurring theme with this Commission. They must decide. Do they want to be fully involved in the process and strengthen the powers of the commission in a City Manager-Mayor system of governing? Or do you they prefer being a rubber-stamp to the wishes of the City Manager and staff?

The Mitte Cultural Arts Board District, or whatever it's called, was supported and passed during the last budget go-round.
Back then, the Commission handed out extra general fund cash to the "soupline" cultural entities. Yet, only two meetings ago that the idea was brought back up. They dropped the ball!

Staff does the work. If the Commissioners likes it, they go with it. If they don't, the violin plays, "Ah shucks, we didn't know. Why didn't you tell us sooner? What are we supposed to do now?"

It gets old fast.

If the Mayor knows so much about PUB and the budget process, why doesn't he place an agenda item earlier in the year and lecture the commission on it? This allows them to contribute sooner. But then, he won't be able to grandstand.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

LOL Mero.

Wish it would have been posted in full.

Bob deserves your wrath.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

What's up with the City/GBIC budget proposing to increase the BEDC budget? Those folks have done nothing to improve our economy. Any thoughts?

BobbyWC said...

"I stated that I would not tolerate this next election being the South Park episode of douche vs. turd sandwich."

I do not know what is funnier what you said or his excuse for deleting it.

Look, everyone knows, even those taking his free food that Sanchez is abour Sanchez. Everytime one of his phony friends get caught, Valadez, BISD Board (La Pampa) he goes silent or actually comes to their defense.

If you are willing to eat his food and take a picture with him you can do know wrong.

I have never known someone with so little self-esteem. Normally I would not care except that his antics at times cause people to support anything he hates.

Everyone assumes if he opposes you it is because you would not cow-tow to whatever petty demand he was making of you. This is very sad, because albeit for all the wrong reasons sometimes he may be on the right side of the issue.

His conduct then causes some people to support bad policy because they assume if he favors something it is because he is making money on it, or settling a personal score.

Anonymous said...

Wes,

I don't think is out of bounds for Commissioners, with the current form of government, to individually meet with staff to learn about departmental duties and needs, so long as they don't instruct staff to make changes to the budget or services. However, if based on what they learned they think changes need to be made, then they can, through the public meeting agenda, direct the City Manager to work on those changes.

Anyway, it's interesting how after doing their best to curtail Ahumada's role and opinion at the meeting, a couple of the Commissioners tried to get him to say he supports the tax increase. That's the problem with creating policy in response to personalities and not issues.

Patricia A.

Anonymous said...

I just realized that Delina Barrera was arrested for DWI in December 2007 and Cabler's accident related to alcohol happened in November 2007.....hmmm?

Anonymous said...

Patricia,

What surprises me is that they don't talk to staff individually about the budget prior to August. One commissioner last night said he has been involved in 5 budget processes. With that kind of experience, he might say, "Hey, we seem to be going through this problem time and time again. Here is a solution." He offers nothing.

Playing psychic, I think the commissioners want a more open process much earlier in the year, e.g. public workshops. That is what I mean by exerting their influence and not rubber-stamping. The commission may appear micromanaging, coincidentally a charge leveled against the Mayor as recently as this morning's paper.

I agree the Commissioners want to corner the Mayor. (Why is he pretending to "listen" to both sides of the tax argument? Its obvious he wants a tax increase.) But the Mayor did bring this on himself with his involvement in discussions.

The Commission appears to have thrown in the towel and not fight the chair on over-participating in discussion. Do they not have a backbone? They wishy-wash on every idea they have, i.e. mayor discussing, public comment moved, not raising taxes. A few weeks ago two commissioners were stunned to learn they raised taxes last year.

Picked up on this a couple weeks ago, this is the second consecutive year in which the City is proposing to use the adjusted roll back rate. I think last night they plan on shooting for the same goal next year.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

Wow!

STRONG FACT
DPM just confessed to trolling on Bob's site! >:o

STRONG LANGUAGE
That coward b**t**d is teaming up with McHale to stir s*it on the blogs!

Anonymous said...

This just in:

Parent supported Shrimp Mogul covers up comments questioning the DPM trolling fiasco!

Allegedly, Bob is in bed with some of the politicos running, *cough* Hernandez, Zayaz *cough* and they want the sheeple to think evrybody loves them.

Anonymous said...

I think the commissioners want a more open process much earlier in the year, e.g. public workshops.

I think public departmental budget workshops should be required through the charter.

The Commission appears to have thrown in the towel and not fight the chair on over-participating in discussion. Do they not have a backbone?

Personally, I don't think he is over-participating, provided that he allows others to speak. Again, they changed the rules in response to an individual without regard to the office. The mayor, whoever that might be, should be able to discuss the issue on the table freely. As it is, he can avoid taking a position on controversial issues with the excuse that he is just presiding over the meeting.
Ahumada can't help himself so we always know where he stands, but what if in the future a mayor works behind the scene to support or oppose an initiative but won't take a public stand and hides behind the title of impartial chair (no such thing).

Patricia A.

Anonymous said...

Patricia,

The Charter Review should discuss the budget process. The Charter must mandate public commission workshops earlier than August. I wouldn't pay any attention to Cabler who believes it would cause headaches or hardships on the commission. Transparency is a must.

The Mayor isn't "over-participating" (my word) inasmuch as the Commissioners had conspired through Robert's rules limit his participation. They should stick to their stance no matter whether they are right or wrong. (I believe they are in the latter.) Possibly they realized how tarnished their image had become because of their childish, vindictive behavior. I doubt their spots have changed.

On a slightly different topic, anyone know what the Sales Tax revenue was for the City in July? Was there a spike due to the preparation of Dolly's landfall? The Commission and Staff seemed to be concerned over whether FEMA would refund money for city expenses. They don't account for sales tax dollars generated by people stocking up and buying lumber and other necessaties because of Dolly.

It is my understanding that many Coastal Benders have chosen the Valley and Brownsville as their destination this weekend. This should help out the Hotel Motel Tax and Sales Tax funds. This makes sense since Ike would follow them to San Antonio if they retreated to Bexar County.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

What kind of City Manager do we have that can't not only presented an unbalanced budget but that there were hardly zero options presented for the Commission to consider? It made the Commissioners look like idiots. Hmmm, maybe that was the plan ;)

Anonymous said...

hardly zero options

The Deputy gave about four options including using the adjusted rollback tax rate. One of the commissioners claims that the Deputy plays it straight and conservative. I don't think Cabler is behind the limited options.

Something else worth mentioning, public works lost its responsibility of maintaining drainage and such to Gamez's drainage district last year.

If the City and Public Works no longer needs to work on that, why, they could use the extra time and money to maintain or fix city streets. At minimum, it is another reason not to raise City taxes.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

Except Public Works is demonstrably not competent to maintain the streets. Why do they have any budget? The limit of their competency seems to be to sling around caliche and hot mix.

Anonymous said...

What about GBIC people? They are collecting a half cent ($millions) every year and most of it is just sitting on reserves. Get rid of that half cent and have it go back to our general fund. I mean, all the development that is happening is not because of GBIC/BEDC. It's because of the growing economy. Those people are worthless and in the meantime, here we are trying to balance the budget and can't even pave streets or maintain what we have. Que lastima!

The Merovingian said...

Get rid of that half cent and have it go back to our general fund.

I wish it were possible, but under the 4A/4B arrangement, that cannot happen. If it were up to me, I would direct it to debt service provided that merry band of clowns we have were prevented from looking at it as "headroom" to pile on more debt.

The spirit of the law is to prevent municipalities and the State from going into debt. I seems to me that more than half of their efforts are expended in loopholing their way around this.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

Anonymous said...

Hey Mero, I posted something last night under an article written by J. Montoya. He stated some law about how politicians should not accept any more than $250.00, gratutiously. I then responded that if that is the case all politicians should be rounded up for severly breaking this law. I then stated that after the above is completed the law enforcement officers should then apprehend themselves for committing the same crime. My response was never posted but a blog administrator stated that a post had been removed. No profanity was used just what I stated above. Think about this a while, just think about it.
Jake.

Anonymous said...

Jake said:(Think about this a while, just think about it.
Jake.)

Mero, I forgot one more minor thing about my deleted post at Captain Bob's blog. I signed it as follows: Jake(retired Law Enforcer).

The Merovingian said...

Think about this a while, just think about it.

I did. Bob thinks that he will play kingmaker in the next round of elections. You know he is wrong, I know he is wrong, the entire reading population of South Texas knows he is wrong. The only person who doesn't know is himself.

Law enforcement officials taking substantial gifts? Who would have thought? Then again, you never know who he has been feeding lately, do you?

M.

 
The Merovingian - Blogged