Saturday, September 20, 2008

This election is about progress

It may surprise some to know that The Merovingian avoids television during the time many call “The Silly Season”. In years past, I used to hang on every syllable uttered by the various candidates in print and on TV, and radio. I was enamored by the mortar barrage exchanges between the two major parties, enthralled by the high altitude aerial bombings paid for by the political action committees, entranced with the invasions of the stump as the opponents fought for ground in the battleground swing states.

America has a peaceful revolution every four years with a systematic way of negotiating power sharing between the victors and the defeated. It is like Zimbabwe, without the gunfire in the streets and a body count of the innocent civilians caught in the crossfire. This is the way many parts of the world view the American system of government. You may as, “How could this be? It isn’t that way at all! We are simply fine tuning our leadership to deal with the current issues in order that the country progresses.” The rest of the world is left to wonder, ”Progresses to what?”, and we answer, “You know… progress!”, which of course, clarifies everything to both our friends and enemies abroad (sarcasm) . It is this inconsistency which complicates our relations with the other countries of the world. It is this inconsistency of direction and purpose that cools the cooperation of our allies (we really do have some) and entrenches the positions of our enemies (we have some of these, too). How can you make long range plans with a country that systematically changes direction every four years? Why should I soften or abandon my plans when I can simply wait for a blind-eye government to take power in the United States?

America, so much power and so little idea of what to do with it!

As November fast approaches, both sides are preparing for our version of the Tet Offensive, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, the flight of the Enola Gay, or whatever decisive engagement you wish to imagine. The rest of the world looks on with fascination and sometimes horror as we simultaneously defend the presidential compound with loyal troops and assault it from the streets with loyal troops, all in the name of progress, which not one person involved in the fight can define.

“Of course I know. It is my business to know.” -The Merovingian

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly, when the British or the French or Germans or Israelis change regimes, it is a much larger shift than it is here, from Tory to Liberal, for instance.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of progress voter registration drives are underway. Wake me when its over.

What does it say about our college students if they are registering to vote now at ages 18, 19, 20, 21, or 30? Don't bore me that they feel that change is needed now. Don't bore me that Obama or Palin has motivated them to finally register to vote.

I remember when I turned 18, I registered myself. I didn't need some organization to do it for me. I didn't need to be reminded to do it. I just went to the post office and did it. It is the patriotic thing to do.

We should focus our energy on voter turnout for those already registered. Is it a game to make it more difficult to recall the bums? Is it to demostrate how much we care? It only shows how much lowers the percentage of voter turn out including deceased voters.

Who agrees with me?

Wes Blackmum

Political Outsider said...

We should focus our energy on voter turnout for those already registered. Is it a game to make it more difficult to recall the bums? Is it to demostrate how much we care?

Wes,

It is all a poor ruse to demonstrate that we are involved and care. It is easy to get people to fill out the form and give it back to you (considering you are deputized to help register people to vote). This way the Media can propagate the myth that we actually care about voting. Further inflating numbers, Politiqueras have taken to registering as many people to vote (especially at the College) as they can in order to prey on their apathy by finding them come Election time and getting them to vote for a candidate that paid them, but telling the voter they are the most qualified. The Charter unintentionally hurt the process of a Recall. However, the convenience of being able to be an incompetent drunk and be virtually safe from being ejected from office until their term is up is ample reason why the Charter will probably never change.

Political Outsider said...

Oh BTW, I found the perfect candidate for District 2. To throw in your support for this candidate over the incumbent please say "Aye".

Anonymous said...

Now, now Political Outsider, it is not politically correct to throw sticks and stones at a techno loving commissioner with enough time to plan a reunion and simultaneously get his brother-in-law elected to BISD. I had no idea he had a myspace page and "friends." You learn something new every day.

This way the Media can propagate the myth that we actually care about voting.

The media is so easily played. If the people cared about voting, the media wouldn't tell us how many new people registered by October 6th. They would tell us how many people didn't vote in November and all prior elections.

Like the unemployment number, they focus on those not employed. They forget the 94% or more employed. There was a time when that was a respectable economic number. We, i.e. the City Commission, County Commission, and I, are a nation of whiners!

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

Mero, have you noticed the number of "Yes" votes on your poll have increased by two in the last few days? A few incumbents might be skewing the numbers.

Wes Blackmum

The Merovingian said...

A few incumbents might be skewing the numbers.

One vote each is not skewing the numbers, so it still looks like some haven't weighed in yet.

As I had stated in an earlier post, if proposed charter revision does not include recall reform based on the number who actually legally voted, I am prepared to live with the prohibitions on goats within the city limits. BTW: The prohibition on roosters MUST stay in. I don't know why the removal of that one was being pushed by Goza. Sometimes that is the only ordinance useful to curb cockfighting if the perpetrators are not caught in the act. Hmmm?

Guys like the Atkinsons just don't get it, and never will. There were times in my life where my requested involvement in civic affairs wouldn't have passed my smell test and those instances were NOWHERE NEAR AS EGREGIOUS as those promoted by our less than illustrious sitting commissioner.

This guy is like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack, but lacking any of the charm.

By the way, it would seem that my earlier prognostication of "The run for higher office" is coming to pass.

M.

Anonymous said...

One vote each is not skewing the numbers, so it still looks like some haven't weighed in yet.

I think they have. Three incumbents are running in May. Well, it is actually two because one wants to run for county. Five votes say yes. They have voted.

Wes Blackmum

"That is my view. And it happens to be correct."

Anonymous said...

This guy is like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack, but lacking any of the charm.

He also lacks the money.

Wes Blackmum

"That is my view. And it happens to be correct."

Anonymous said...

Mero, douchebag versus turd sandwich for Mayor in 2011. Robert Sanchez and Ernie Hernandez have announced their plans. Who is who?

Wes Blackmum

The Merovingian said...

...douchebag versus turd sandwich....Who is who?

After careful consideration and exhausting the possibilities, I can only come to one conclusion:

Who gives a big rat's ass?

One...well, we don't need to get in to that, and the second one is so easily manipulated into plans of action that 'seemed like a good idea at the time' that it doesn't matter.

I think that 2011 is the year. The year I register my dog for Mayor. I haven't asked him yet, but he is always eying my laptop and cell phone, so he'll probably go for it.

So everyone give a warm welcome to ..your..next..Mayor....SCRUFFY!
(warm applause)

"Of course I know, it is my business to know." -The Merovingian

Anonymous said...

but he is always eying my laptop and cell phone, so he'll probably go for it.

If he is need of gas money and expense reimbursements, he is perfect!

Mero, we should give a rat's ass. There are still others who will throw their hat into the ring. They must have monikers. A few suggestions:

Pubic hair?
In-grown toe nail?
Wang pumper?
Tiger testicle?
Bull shitter?
Charlie Atkinson?
Pimple snot?

Wes Blackmum
"That's my view. And it happens to be correct."

 
The Merovingian - Blogged