Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a Winner!



I wondered why it took so long. I posted that bald-faced lie to provoke a discussion on community cooperative efforts. The city actually is, at this point, collaborating with Harlingen for a event center, hopefully as I described. The basic problem that plagues efforts like that are that by the time the location is chosen, everyone knows where it will be and we pay far too much for the real-estate, it costs 3 times as much (cough! sports-park)and is usually undersized by the time it is finally finished. It is not important that what I wrote was not true. What is important is that it should have been true. If you bought it, hook, line, and sinker, don't be sad or angry. You were optimistic about our city. As I was writing it, I was hoping it was true, too. Congratulations, Ralph Cowen. How long did it take to run down my bit of malarky?

------------------------------------------------

M,

I read your piece on a “supposed” event center on Port of Brownsville property. The concept is very interesting and very creative. I really hate to report to the blog-world that your “events center proposal” at this time is just not under consideration by anybody but yourself. This concept for BND diversity has great possibilities and real merit. Unfortunately at this place in time, your “concept” has no budget or backing. You see it my business to know too. After reading your script and looking at the drawing, I must say that you do have real “talent”. I am very grateful you were not around for the Orson Well’s radio broadcast of “War of the Worlds” in the last century. I am sure the public’s panic and hysteria would still be with us.

While we are conjuring up BND projects, let us consider these other concept projects that have great merit and no current funding or consideration.

1. A first class cruise line and Navy Port of Call based in a new turning basin located five miles inland from the end of the jetties. Those five miles of channel and basin would be maintained at 60ft and have the ability to turn an aircraft carrier around. It is cheaper to maintain a five mile channel and basin at 60 ft of dept than 18 miles of channel at a 50ft dept.

2. This basin would be serviced by a passenger train run by BRGV Railroad that is currently owned and operated by the BND. Cruise line passengers could check their luggage at the Brownsville airport and ride hassle free before boarding the cruise ship. No other port in the world offers this service today.

3. This same train would serve as a commuter train in the early morning and late afternoon for workers at the port to Park and Ride to and from parking lots located by the Brownsville Airport. Thus taming HWY 48 during shift change.

4. A power plant running on natural gas wells located on land owned by the BND to serve us all with cheap electric power.


5. If the proposed desalt plant isn’t in the cards, we will build an affordable one, coupled with the affordable power to make the Port of Brownsville a competitive and diverse world class business site.

6. We should all work toward making the Port self supporting, and wean off tax support


It all starts with an idea; RFK quoted “Some people see things as they are and say WHY? I see things and say why not?” He may have borrowed this idea from “Voltaire”.

We must dream or our dreams can’t come true. One day at a time, one dream at a time we can and will change the world. Sometimes I dream with my head in the clouds, but I keep my feet on the ground.

Step one; Start and do our due diligence as we go.

Ralph Cowen

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That's hilarious! You fooled us all. You silly, chum bucket, you. (Can you tell I'm a SpongeBob fan?)

Geez, and Cowen wrote a really long response.

Anonymous said...

Mr. M,

Nice...I think.

I am beginning to like Mr. Ralph Cowen even more. He caught on and called you out. Nice bit of work.

Although, why the quotes around talent? In my eyes Mr. M, you are very, very talented.

Great trick but a little too early for April Fool's though.

V

The Merovingian said...

I think the "talent" may have something to do with running him on a fool's errand. But he wasn't fooled, it would seem. I do have something cooking for Apr 1st. I hope you find it entertaining.

Melissa, did that really fool you? I thought you were just keeping quiet to see where this was going, like Rogelio did. He smelled a rat, but didn't reach out for the prize.

Anonymous said...

Well, it didn't sound legitimate to me, but nothing surprises me anymore. Remember, we have a public official that wants a Disneyland-like amusement park on the Rio Grande!

The Merovingian said...

I know that you don't go back that far, but the Amigoland mall was built to be the anchor for a theme park of the same name.

Anonymous said...

Mero,

You actually fooled me, but I've never had the street smarts that my dad has.

Unknown said...

That Ralph is a very smart guy and knows about this port stuff. Maybe he should run for Port Commissioner.

The Merovingian said...

Brownsville Barrister said...
Mero,


I knew that someone with some savvy would come forth, raise a finger in my direction and cry, "Bullshit on you!", I just didn't think it would take so long. I'll cut your dad some slack on the time issue, because I know he has been busy and probably didn't spot it for a couple of days.

Now that we are all here, and I'll declare a quorum, let's discuss cooperation among the local entites.

What can we do to foster the city and its various entites to speak with one voice, pulling in one direction so the people receive the maximum benefit with the least cost for the pursuit thereof?

How do we take the margin out of personal agendas and 'cliqueism' and use the real smarts and talent that we have here?

M.

Anonymous said...

Mr. M,

I do not know if I am in your quorum, but here is my idea...

Maybe we should pay $900,000 to a company that does not listen instead tells us what we want and be done with it.

Oh, wait it is already happening.

DOH! I am too late. I could have made me some money. Imagine that!

Sing it with me now, "Money" by Pink Floyd.

V

The Merovingian said...

If Melissa doesn't give a more researched opinion first, I'll weigh in. I am typing as fast as I can, Necause I am operating totally portable with little battery left. I shoulc be back home with a real connection Sunday night.

M

Anonymous said...

Mr. M,

Why wait? She had her Godinez meeting over a week ago. You must have something to say. Say it for the world to hear. And by world, I mean Brownsville because who cares about the rest. They revolve around us. ;)

V

The Merovingian said...

First off, I question the wisdom of spending that amount of money on a non-binding study. If I thought that we could straighten the mess that is Brownsville by simply writing a check for $900k, then "Damn the fine print, where do I sign!" The absolute enforced lack of planning (the wording position was not a typo) is the crux and core of the problems that we face every day, and year in and year out.

Many cities have a plan and a direction, whether it is written or not.

In our case, if it isn't written in large, easy to read type, it has not a prayer of being followed.

Even when this is the case, such as the requirement that Public Works have a licensed engineer on staff, it is often simply ignored.

This is one of those rare occasions where I am of two minds, which explains my recalcitrance¹ at weighing in before Melissa's researched report.

On the one hand, we have an attempt by Brownsville to engage some kind of a plan, which is not at all clear to the public at this point.

On the other hand, we have an expensive, last minute, lame duck expenditure of almost a million dollars for something that is not at all clear to the public.

As you can see, both opinions include 'not at all clear to the public' and therein lay my conflicts in pronouncing anything that resembles an objective assessment of the situation.

I can say with certainty that I am not at all happy that as of this point, there is little, if any, public report of progress. Whether this is due to lack of any real progress, or simple abject stupidity on someone's part, I don't have the facts yet. Based on past non-performance by our illustrious leaders, being maxed out in both categories would not surprise me in the least!

The whole process of IB seems very confusing, unless it has been studied with patience. I have done so, with as much of an open mind as I could muster. The concept and plan are wonderful, and I agree completely, but, (and you knew that was coming) the devil is in the details.

Will a workable report come from Ambiotec and if it does, will the City follow any plans or recommendations that it contains?

How do we say we got our money's worth if the product is some Utopian BS that won't work even if followed to the letter, on the penalty of death? In short, I need more facts and I want them now. It is evident that you do, too. The admittedly small, optimistic side of me wants to scream from the closet I keep it in, "Finally, something in the right direction!". The pessimist, with one foot firmly holding the closet door shut is saying, "This is all a crock of crap to enrich Eddie TreviƱo's buddies." The moderator of this internal argument, me, is saying, "The both of you shut up until you have eaten some more facts."

We deserve a progress report, like yesterday.

¹(apologies to el Vato: recalcitrance means dragging my feet, on purpose)

M.
(arrogant tag line omitted for now)

 
The Merovingian - Blogged