Sunday, August 17, 2008

Heat

Texas school district OKs pistols for teachers, staff

....snip

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in Friday's online edition of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

snip.....

What? A newspaper taking a conservative,practical, and potentially validating pro-gun position and putting in print, without even bothering take it out of context? The editors of the NY Times and Washington Post must be huddled around their office trash cans loosing their breakfast if they saw this come across the news wire.

I have harbored a fantasy that our state would pass a mandatory carry law. Who would rob a bank, if they thought that some white haired grandma might pop a cap on their way out the door?

Besides, in the rest of the world, Texas passing such a law would seem normal.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're Texas. We're normal. They ain't.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

We're not just Texas, we're The Republic of Texas!

Ok, I know is not a legal title, but it definitely describes a cultural state of mind.

Patricia A.

Anonymous said...

I was borrowing from UT's slogan. But correction noted.

Wes Blackmum

The Merovingian said...

I can't help but feel that common courtesy would return.

Anonymous said...

Now teachers can cull the herd! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Frankly, the reason I left teaching was that it had become too much like working in a prison. I'm thinking this latest wrinkle is just more proof that that's what Texas wants--more prisons, fewer schools, particularly in minority dominated districts.

Has BISD proposed this yet? I'll bet it won't take more than a semester for that crew to pick up on it.

Anonymous said...

Is that snipping sound I hear the sound of further cuts into the social fabric? It's already frayed to the point that a half-hearted tug would cause it to fall apart.

Anonymous said...

Texas wants--more prisons, fewer schools, particularly in minority dominated districts.

You can't be serious!

Brownsville is building more schools. Other valley school districts are building schools. Every year there are at least 50 new schools through out the state going up. The valley and state ratios of school building to prison building are not equal.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

Mr. Blackmun,

I was speaking ironically. We're working to turn our schools into more prison like institutions.

I'll try to be clearer in the future.

Anonymous said...

I would prefer to keep hyperbole synonymous with the Old Courthouse, the Cardboard Box, or a plonked blogger but not you.

Teaching is a prison for some students who are forced to attend school. Allowing teachers to carry a gun mitigates an opportunity of a disgruntled student, parent, scorned lover, or criminal from shooting up the place.

Wes Blackmum

 
The Merovingian - Blogged