Friday, April 4, 2008

Should We Simply Sell UTB/TSC ?

I heard the idea today. Offer The whole kit and caboodle to a university system that would agree to:

1) Assume the existing debts.
2) Quickly wean off property taxes
3) Immediately establish a School of Law
4) Kick in $50 Million

Admittedly, I gave it no serious thought as of yet, but I would like some viewpoints to work from.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No.

While the city is annexing the port, it can annex UTB, too. Then instead of three dysfunctional boards, we could get by with one.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stan,

The City cannot annex a taxing district that has to do with higher education!

Also, Brownsville taxpayers would be financing the studies of students from Cameron County. That is as bad as financing the studies of non-property taxpayers from Mexico.

V

Anonymous said...

Mr. Mero,

Although you may believe that surrendering the Texas Southmost District would solve the many problems that plague our school, such as double taxation, it would not alleviate the students who do not want a bachelor, master, or doctorate degree. They want a certificate to earn a higher wage job.

Without a junior college, they will have to find that elsewhere .

But if we could still have such opportunities for these students, then and only then would surrendering the whole enchilada be an avenue worth using.

By ridding ourselves of this albatross of double taxation, we may haver lower tuition and be saving money by not having this ridiculous election of nobodies, cronies, and thieves.

V

Anonymous said...

Mr. M,

haver = have

Oops! I feel sheepish...baaaaah!

V

The Merovingian said...

we may haver lower tuition and be saving money by not having this ridiculous election of nobodies, cronies, and thieves.

Which had we not come tis situation, the suggestion would not have been made to me that prompted me to write the post.

"this is the rat that ate the cheese that lived in the house that jack built"

The chain has to be broken somewhere, because if we just look for a cat, soon comes the need for a dog......

M.

Anonymous said...

Dear RG V,

I'm terribly sorry. I was trying to make a joke. I'll try harder and make that plainer in the future.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stan,

Oh, I understood you were making a drollery.

I needed a pretext for my jab at non-property taxpayers from Mexico. You were my muse. ;)

V

 
The Merovingian - Blogged