Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Port Bridge Money Stolen Again

DA to release findings into BND's failed bridge projectApril 22, 2008 - 10:49PM
By LAURA B. MARTINEZ/The Brownsville Herald

The Cameron County District Attorney's office today will release information on its investigation into the Brownsville Navigation District.

........

The press conference comes a day after Villalobos's office seized $1 million of success fees paid to the Mexican contractors on the international bridge project. The money was seized on Tuesday following a civil forfeiture the district attorney's office filed against Dannenbaum, Villalobos said.

"It (the money) will probably go back to the community," Villalobos said on Tuesday. "We are limited as to what" can be done with it. Under state law, the funds must be used for law enforcement purposes.



Villalobos' office gets to keep a million bucks of seized "Bridge to Nowhere" money. No wonder he found a reason to actually pursue something!

I got an Idea for ya, bright boy! Put it in the victims compensation fund and let the Port make a claim against it.

If Villalobos is sure that the million bucks was Port bond money, and he seized it, then claims it will be the property of his office, does that make the DA guilty of Theft by Conversion?

I am still waiting on some more facts, but I am not happy with the smell I am getting so far.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know" -The Merovingian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He could use it as a bridge-fund recovery effort. I'd like full reporting still. I'm not happy assuming every politician out there is a thief, which seems to be the common assumption. Follow the money.

Anonymous said...

you aew the only one who caught it

The Merovingian said...

..the only one who caught it

Everyone who read the Herald article should have got it. It was in black and white. Please remember that Newspapers report on the facts. Conclusions are the stomping grounds for editorialists and the readers of both.

M.

 
The Merovingian - Blogged