Friday, September 28, 2007

Oh, Lowe's Where Are You?

Has anyone other than I noticed the glaring lack of a single Lowe's in Brownsville? Why, even the sprawling metropolis of San Benito has one. Could it be that makes it no economic sense to put at least one Lowe's in the largest city in the Valley? Help me out here. Ok, we have three Walmart Supercenters, two Home Depots, scads of Radio Shacks; you can practicly push the same shopping cart through three HEB stores and where is Lowe's? Did they use a map that showed the "Border Wall" passing north of Brownsville?

Sadly, this is not the case. Now before I have Lowe's weigh in on this, and they will, I want the Brownsville government people responsible to step forward, admit that what you did was stupid and wrong and say you're sorry. It only hurts for a second, but people will think better of you in the long run. After you have done so, and fix what you did wrong, then maybe, just maybe, Lowe's will come back and build the three stores that they wanted so desperately to build in Brownsville.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." The Merovingian

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe they wanted millions in incentives without offering anything without offering wages of at least $9/hr. if this is their market they could'be still opened up a store on their own at minimum wage but without any money from the city. i'mm not sure that was a bad decision on the part of the city. the city and gbic are trying to correct their past mistakes and direct incentives to companies that will offer better wages.

i too hope lowe's comes to brownsville but it's either going to be on their terms without tax money or if they want tax money it has to be on our terms.

patricia a.

Anonymous said...

Just what B'town needs, another big box store that sucks the lifeblood out of our economy. The whole purpose is to owe your soul to the company store.

No interest until 2009, no money down, no credit no problem, bring in your tax refund...

They frown when you pay cash. How many people are making payments at loan shark rates over five years just to pay off a bedroom set or a flat screen TV?

How many have at least one months salary saved in the bank? This instant gratification is really taking a toll.

Enough of my ramblings, how did our city leaders scare off Lowes?

brought to you by; feedthepig.com

Au Revoir

Anonymous said...

yup, one of the poorest cities in the nation, but check out the parking lots at the mall and "restaurant row" adjacent to it ... they're always packed ...

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you're right. Keep in mind, though, that easy (and ridiculously expensive) credit is the source of much of that buying power we're seeing. Our negative savings rate will be our downfall sooner or later.

BobbyWC said...

I always said the myth about the Clinton economic boom was the expansion of credit -

the growth in our economy has been a myth for a long time - the credit is killing us - I'm cash and carry - there are things I can buy with credit - but not at the rates they are charging -

I will not do business with capital one because I got sick several years ago and was 2 days late on a payment - the late fees but me over the credit limit which resulted in another fee -

I sent them a check for the payoff - I did not include the $100.00 in fees - 6 years later they still call every day - what did they get for the $100.00 penalty for being 2 days late - a lost customer who will never again have credit beyond a mortgage or a car payment -

cash and carry

Bobby Wc

The Merovingian said...

Yes, it is very easy to look great on borrowed money. The swelling of credit and rip-roaring good times reminded me of the 1920's...and we all know how that story turned out. It is also for that reason that I always look carefully at bond issues for public entities. I noticed that 13% of the city budget goes to debt service and it is a long term item. With lower debt the city could be more flexible in responding to immediate issues of the day. The same of course applies to all entities whether public or private.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

Anonymous said...

This is rank speculation, but I understand Lowe's was poised to open a store where the Home Depot is now.

A few years ago Foley's was going to move into Sunrise Mall and Dillard's undercut them by either buying an interest in the mall or they entered into an exclusivity agreement with the owners (I forget which). I suspect the same thing happened to Lowe's

The moral of the story; you snooze you lose.

Oh by the way, I enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

LOWE'S? Do you see this claptrap of a store as some sort of crowning jewel to local econ. enterprise? Wow! That only shows how deprived you must be...

The Merovingian said...

America is about choices. If you choose not to shop there or work there or be involved in the construction then no one is forcing you. I don't particularly like to eat at McDonald's, but I don't complain when they build another one in hopes of drawing some business.

M.

 
The Merovingian - Blogged