Please read the note at bottom of post.
A University is the bastion of free expression as long as you think exactly like they do, speak exactly like they do, and dare not speak a word against socialism as the savior of all mankind. Oh, when they partner up with a "Freedom" newspaper it is doubly so.
Is the wit of The Merovingian such a dangerous thing that a two line comment must not be posted on Brownsville2020? Oh my God! Angels and ministers of grace defend us! Such a comment could squelch all academic freedom and bring back serfdom and slavery. It could cause economic failure and bring back the dark ages!
In response to:
Prioritize: Community Groups Can Improve Area by Reducing Demands on Government
http://bro2020.blogspot.com/2007/09/prioritize-community-groups-can-improve.html
I simply replied:
I would like to see this headline:
Government Can Improve Area by Reducing Demands on Community
Other analytical posts from The Merovingian pop right on through. What nerve did I gouge with a hot poker? What is so wrong with downsized efficient government? What is so dangerous that the mere suggestion not be entertained?
These are the same people who want to integrate, department by department with our city government. Well, I just made up my mind. No Town-Clown partnership for this cat. In short, I am outraged and you should be, too. They have NO journalistic integrity. To the U. and the Herald: A pox on both your houses!
"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian
The above posting was the result of a misunderstanding. I try not to be wrong, but this time I was. I am only leaving it because the comments are very good reading and a good example of dispute resolution.
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Free Exchange of Ideas - I was mistaken
Posted by
The Merovingian
at
10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

26 comments:
That wasn't fair. The 2020 Comment you reference was posted on Friday, September 21, 1:25PM. It is now Monday, September 24 8:30 AM, less than three days later (two days of which was a weekend). Blog comments are posted to an email address we don't check everyday. For the past few days I was preoccupied with getting the report card ready and dealing with family illness that required a visit to the ER. I take breaks over the weekend to avoid insanity and depression. This morning-- before I read your post--I checked all the comments and posted all the ones to the blog. I'll let you decide, given the context, whether your comment was warranted or a rush to judgment.
From 2020: here is the original email I received:
The Merovingian has left a new comment on your post "Prioritize: Community Groups Can Improve Area by R...":
I want a headline that reads:
"Government Can Improve Area By Reducing Demands on Community"
Won't that one go over well !
Posted by The Merovingian to 2020 BLOG at September 21, 2007 1:25 PM
Brownsville 2020, it sounds like you need some help. I don't blame The Merovingian for reacting the way it did. You need to rethink your manning. In another blog, I have spoken out against your lack of commitment to do what you have said you are going to do, namely, posting the city commission meetings. Recently, you posted the June 26th meeting. That meeting was held three months ago! There has been twelve meetings since! I suggest you speak to your superiors and let them know you need help. Maybe you can get student volunteers to man the Web site on specifically assigned days/weekends. IMHO, it is unacceptable for a comment to go unpublished for three days. It reflects poorly on The Brownsville Herald and UTB.
Checking dates and times or previous posting responses, what ever else was I to think?
If you run an electronic information service, not checking it everyday (at absolute minimum) is sloppy by any sysop's standards. I do not believe that I rushed to judgement, I may have been off the mark at to the reason, though.
Here is the posting from 3 1/2 hours earlier
The Merovingian said...
I followed the info and am still exploring the ramifications of the proposal. The myriad possibilities of outcome will take a couple of days of thinking. I just took some aspirin; this is not a bad sign, simply stating that the combinations, permutations, bounds and limits on modeling something social in nature and not inherently mathematical call on mental resources I don't usually engage.
These are my initial reactions; I do reserve the right to possibly do a full 180 upon complete analysis.
On the surface, it has the makings of a Prado Transaction (a good thing).
I think it would be wonderful, provided not a single penny or piece of real estate passed to the U. as a result of this new partnership.
This kind of "attached-at-hip" approach makes me more than a little itchy. At present we have a city government that is barely accountable to the people. If we throw the U. into the fray, which is even less accountable, I can see some real potential downside risk
I'll think about it some more.
September 21, 2007 10:02 AM
Thank you to anonymous and Merovingian for your patience.
I have been trying (in between my other duties) to edit the City Commissioner meetings down to a manageable time (say 15-20 minutes) and do something that would complement what our colleague Chris Davis is doing at CafeBrownsville. However, editing down a three hour meeting (particularly THESE kinds of meetings) to 15 minutes is proving to be too time-consuming. To say it's been difficult is quite an understatement.
So, I've re-purposed the 2020 City Commission videos, to keep the focus on the 2020 Matters of Concern. The videos will now highlight ONE Commission Action that impacts a 2020 Concern. For example, at the July 3rd, Action Item #14 was the Mayor's now-infamous "$3.00 PUB Fee" which impacts 2020 Concern #4 "Affordable Utilities." If a meeting has no actions that relate to the 2020 concerns, that information will be posted as well. I should have that one up later today. Again, I appreciate your ongoing forebearance.
On the affordable utilities front, there is an unbreakable mind set that goes on like a broken record at PUB.
"We are already the cheapest."
I answer "SO WHAT !"
These collective morons are so busy patting themselves on the back for this that they have no reason to look for consumer cost savings. They have already caught the bus and quit running.
They need to act like some big energy concern is about to steal 1/2 their business. They have to act this way every day,all day. With so much slop,waste,stupid pursuits,etc.. I wonder exactly how far down the bills could go.
They look like a title belt holder swilling a beer, smoking a cigarette and downing a Ho-ho claiming to be the greatest.
Well, Rocky is training hard. Watch out!
Oh, Yea!
#1 Citizen concern: Streets
Commission action: Cut budget
Is a swat with a rolled up newspaper out of line?
Just checking.
One last consideration about the videos. Because of the sometimes confusing nature of the meetings, I use the official minutes to tell me what actions passed or failed to help with editing. Regretfully, sometimes these minutes take weeks to be posted to the website. For example, as of today (Sept 24) minutes are only available up to the Sept. 4th meeting. That is another reason the videos are lagging behind the actual meetings.
I have the same problem with BND minutes. They lag so far that I try hard to remember exactly what went on at the referenced meeting to check the minutes for accuracy. Also, because the minutes are not official and posted until the next meeting, the public is alway one meeting behind on what happened. Besides, if the minutes must me edited, I want to know what and why.
Post the transcripts unofficially, marked as such. If they are accepted as posted, change the designation to official. It not, post the revised official right next to the unofficial
me = be
sorry, fat finger complex.
has = have
(comment #3)
There HAVE been twelve meetings since!
no fat finger complex here, just trying to post my two cents before rushing out:-)
You use the wrong pronoun in your first paragraph. The proper one is "it," not "they." But what else is new in the RGV?
To the three or four folks watching the 2020TV lineup, the commission meeting from July 3rd is now up at www.brownsville2020.com/tv
I'm curious to know what the community thinks. Was this video helpful? Do you like the new format?
"You use the wrong pronoun in your first paragraph. The proper one is 'it,' not 'they.' But what else is new in the RGV?"
Geez, chill out.
Could you possibly keep this at an eigth-grade reading level, you're losing me. I guess I'm really used to reading the Herald.
Au Revoir
To Brownsville2020:
Notice the speed and wealth of info you get with rapid response to readers? This is not a dig, this is lesson. At present, I am running unmoderated while I am at a computer. If you wish, I am willing to make a permanent top post for any semi-realtime discussions that Brownsville2020 wants, or host an IRC forum chat server.
M.
I don't know about you M. I really thought you were really, really good and then your unprovoked attack on people who are trying to make a difference. What is that all about? Que onda? I agree with Brownsville 2020 that your comment was not fair. What have you done to contribute to the debate before a week, or is it two, of blogging. By the way, I respect bloggers, but not the ones who start thinking they are the only ones who know it all. You know what M, seems to me that you need a dose of humility. By the way, it's nexis, not nexus (sic). You are starting to sound just like the mayor.
Oops, it is nexis, not nexus. What is nexus?
What do you mean we have no journalistic integrity? And who are you mero mero whatever?
I don't use the search service enough to worry about the spelling. As to contributing to the debate, I have been around and in it most likely before you were born. If you read the rest of the thread, you would see that this time it was a misunderstanding. If you have never experienced repression,aloofness,academic fraud,incompetence, or other such nastiness at UTB/TSC, then my response would seem unprovoked.
I by no means think that I know it all. I do know a lot and try to share it with those that want either to make a difference, or simply to know what is going on under their noses.
BTW look up spelling flame, you will find it listed under "lame"
Humility? People that know me IRL would quote me as saying, "I haven't got time for that."
I didn't really mean to sound so snippy and trite, but I am tired.
To: Emma Perez-Trevino
Please refresh the screen on the original post. This was a misunderstanding.
I have witnessed all of the above throughout the state for more than 30 years.
And I embrace sharing, but not attack.
But, if you were born before I, wow, you've got to be 54-plus. Yea, go to sleep. I think I will too. I'm tired too.
Yes, let us slug it out in the arena of ideas tomorrow. I think the only thing I am fit for at the moment is a short piece on "Pillows" Foam or Feather?"
I am sorry I didn't make the correction earlier, but I had take care of some business for tomorrow.
Do you guess weight, too? ;)
M.
You are too funny, tomorrow is another day. I feel wide awake. We'll slug it out then.
Brownsville 2020, I've had a chance to view the July 3rd meeting that you've posted. Yes, I think it's helpful (if current). Yes, I like the new format. I appreciate your contributions.
Here comes the constructive criticism... The infamous $3 PUB fee is old news. Please know that I am trying to be helpful with my feedback, and in no way trying to tear down your effort. Also, if I may suggest, I think it would be a good idea to include the public comments. By doing so, we can check if the commission is in fact listening to the people.
Again, thank you for your hard work!
"Anonymi" (all of you) thank for taking the time to comment and be involved in the community discourse.
The purpose of the videos is not to give news of the meetings. That is already done by the Herald, cableTV, Cafe Brownsville, and others.
The purpose of the videos (at least the long-term purpose) is to make a "RECORD" of what each commissioner has done during their term in office. And to make the record in a way that does not consume too much time when re-election comes around.
In this regard, I agree the "$3 fee" is old news today, but in 2011, when mayor/commissioners want to run for re-election, we will all be grateful that there is a place where we can watch short videos to refresh our collective minds.
As to the public comment time, I think that is an excellent idea, and I will go back into the July 3rd meeting and add a few minutes of public comment on the end.
Post a Comment