Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What is it with the charter review?

All you guys that are on it and reading, please get this: The number of registered voters is only of any consequence to unelected candidates schmoozing for votes; it has NOTHING to do with who actually votes!

Who is afraid of holding officeholders accountable? There is nothing sacred about the precincts. I still think it was a bad idea, but since we are stuck with it, as we are with many bad ideas, set the stupid recall levels at 75% of the count that put the officeholder in! It is so simple! The recall level is thereby stamped indelibly on the forehead of the elected official and he or she IS ACCOUNTABLE!

I am sick of hearing "We don't want to make it too specific."

When it is not specific, then it needs interpretation. If it needs interpretation, it needs lawyers. If it needs lawyers, it needs courts. Now I am one of the first people to stand up and shout that this whole county needs to be operated under direct court supervision (along with the Texas Rangers), but that is for other causes. I can't be more plain. Leave NO wiggle room. Spell it out.

Even when it was spelled out in black and white, perks abounded. Lawyers said, "It's ok", even the charter WAS specific. Imagine what these yahoos will do with "general" guidelines? Nail their feet to the floor and hold them accountable to the citizens. If they don't like it, tough. They are each only one individual voice. Take back the City for it citizens.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mero,

That was beautiful! I would like to see the Charter Review take up the cause of recall to the level you prescribe. What if they move the election date from May to November to match with BISD and County elections? This might cause a fly in the ointment. It would make the recall more burdensome and these sneaky commissioners would increase their own terms temporarily of course. Since I am in its ETJ, I would like to see some rights for us ETJers in the Charter!

Wes Blackmum

 
The Merovingian - Blogged