
There are THREE sections marked Latino and one Hispanic.
In addition, following the Asian section, there are two gondolas with imported Mexican products, that I guess they didn't know how to classify. It seems to me by what I saw with the imports that Walmart classifies foodstuffs imported from Mexico as neither Latino, nor Hispanic. Why is Asian squeezed in between the imported Mexican and Hispanic? If there was no buffer zone, would fist-fights break out in the aisle? Is it of some utmost importance that there are THREE classifications for people who trace their ancestry to south of the border?
As near as I can figure it, there are a lot of Latinos, enough Hispanics to warrant their own section, and the rest are Mexicans who don't even get one of those aisle markers that have been driving me crazy. But Walmart please, if you are reading, don't add one on my account, I'd have to visit the pharmacy section for some calming medication.
You may think that I obsess on this issue, and you are right. It is just too weird for me and I would really like to hear Walmart's thinking on this. I am worried, however, that their explanation would be stranger than my imagination running wild could have invented.
"of course I know. It is my business to know." The Merovingian
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Argh !!!!
Posted by
The Merovingian
at
10:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Mr. Mero,
That is some funny stuff!
Who would win if not for the DMZ Asian buffer?
V
I don't know, Hispanics are known to love a good fight, but if Walmart is right, they just might lose to the overwhelming numbers of unlabeled Mexicans. It is unknown at this point if they could really count on the Latinos, when push came to shove.
M.
A P.S to the last comment.
Contrary to the overhead sign, there is no snack cracker/cookie buffer between the Asians and the Mexicans. I guess the Mexicans and the Asians just have to look directly at each other thinking the other looks funny.
Mr. Mero,
But they do look funny!
They all look the same too. I can never tell them apart.
LOL
V
It seems to me all walmart has done is catch up to Fiesta Stores- this is how it has been in Fiesta stores for over 20 years - nothing new here.
Gorbachev when visiting the Houston area went into a new Fiesta about 20 years ago and even commented on how the isles were separated by ethnic groups.
Okay what is the difference between me looking for plumbing supplies and seeing a plumbing sign in HomoDepot (Dallas inside Joke) and me being in Walmart and wanting a sign which might lead me to waterchestnuts.
Please explain the difference
Bobby WC
M,
If you have had tamales from El Salvador, flautas from Columbia or empanadas from Spain, you will be the first to say: THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH AISLES.
k
Uh, what's the issue again?
There's only suposed to one isle that says, "Spic food here?"
Is that it? Too confusing?
You should be happy Walmart carries mnority targeted products at all. Some groups in the Valley don't get any representation.
umm.. it seems most ppl have lost the point.
this is NOT about minorities, or ant such trivial matters. this is simply asking Wal*Mart "What's the difference between a Latino, Mexican (labeled or not), and a Hispanic?"
Post a Comment