Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Is Each and Every Pundit Stupid?

While the Clinton balsa wood juggernaut is still taking fatal hits delivered by feather pillow from the Obama camp and the Republicans are busy not delivering any message, other than, "I can beat Hilary!", a thought occurred to me:

What would happen if Rudy Giuliani were to nicely ask Joe Lieberman if he would serve as Vice President?

This would be the most middle of the road ticket possible today, a liberal Republican and a conservative Democrat.

I know that it violates all the popular rules for choosing a VP to balance the ticket, both ideologically and regionally, but regionalism is not what it used to be and the American people seem to be sick to death of both parties lip service to ideology. The further debates would be deliciously disturbed. The demos would look like they washed down a jar of jalapenos with a gallon of Turbo-Lax. The other guys would be stammering about the end of civilization as we know it. The entire east coast would be marked as Republican backers, and wouldn't that drive George Soros nuts! The pair would have to do zero campaigning, all the talking-heads on TV and in print would do it for them. Rudy G. could answer every debate question with, "I will nominate Joe Lieberman for Vice President." and quit ending every sentence with "9-11"

I know that Lieberman came out and endorsed John McCain, but is McCain out saying that he will ask Lieberman to be the VP? I don't think so. Would Lieberman do it? For the chance to be President Pro-Tem of the Senate, you bet 'cha. His party tried to trash him out of his Senate seat for being too hawkish and not "Moving on" with the rest of the party. His party left him.

Could Rudy work with Joe? Of course!

Would America vote for this duo? The answer is: Hillary who?


"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Would America vote for this duo?"

In a world where George Bush can be President of the United States it could come to pass that Giuliani gets the nomination. Getting votes in an election another matter. Mixed ticket? Stillborn.

Anonymous said...

I'd go for it. I say, what the hell. Washington would probably focus a bit more on policy than party politics, not knowing which way the Veto lies.

Anonymous said...

I think a Ron Paul third party ticket could spoil it for the Republican nominee, no matter who he chooses for VP. However, I don't think a Republican would ever choose a Dem for VP. A Rep-Dem ticket would probably only be possible if each leave their respective parties and run as a third party ticket.

Patricia A.

Mas Triste said...

M,

To answer the question, I am a pundit and I am stupid.

The regional issue is not as important this cycle because there is no west coast candidate, at least not serious candidate.

To Patricia's point, Joe Liberman serves in the Senate as a third party independent.

This ticket would do very well.

Kurgan

Anonymous said...

"Kurgan said...

I am a pundit and I am stupid."

The first step toward recovery is admitting there is a problem. How brave of you.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't vote for Lieberman under any circumstances. His voting record clearly demonstrates his priorities, Israel first and America second. And I am not saying that because he is Jewish or with any malice toward the Jewish religion. The middle east is precariously unstable for many reasons, going back to the first and second world wars. The challenge in the 50's was to avoid nuclear war with the USSR and the challenge now is to resolve middle eastern tensions before it culminates in nuclear war. People like Lieberman are making the situation worse and responsible for provoking 9/11, single minded diplomacy and military involvement, turning a blind eye to the illegal incursions, broken treaties and human rights atrocities in the region, provoking retaliation and deepening instability. No wonder Iran is desperate to become a nuclear player, look at the flaming wreckage surrounding them. Iraq, Kuwait, Palestine, all sitting ducks without nuclear defenses. With the visage of trigger-happy cowboy George Bush, waving the white flag of Jesus over one of the world's largest nuclear arsenals. Lieberman, no way. To keep going down that road is suicidal. We need a different vision for the middle east in the next administration.

 
The Merovingian - Blogged