
NEWS RELEASE - FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION
Brownsville, Texas. November 18, 2007
“NO CONFLICTS BUT A LOT OF INTEREST”
Peter Zavaletta, candidate for the Democratic nomination for Cameron County District Attorney, addresses Baybridge and conflict of interest:
“After the Brownsville Navigation District Board voted unanimously on August 29 to authorize the Port Director to negotiate a lease contract with Baybridge, I ‘met’ Barry Chambers for the first time. Before that‘meeting,’ I had never met or even spoken with Chambers before, but it was common knowledge that he, along with Bob Berry, were the local managers of International Shipbreakers, a large ship dismantler at the Port, who had bitterly opposed both the lifting of the moratorium on additional shipbreakers at the Port and allowing Baybridge to locate there.
“After the August 29 BND board meeting, I bumped into Mr. Chambers in a social setting - entirely by accident. He was alone, apparently having a drink, and I was with some friends. I got up to go to the restroom and recognized Chambers standing at the bar. At that moment, I had no reason to think Chambers was anything but still a manager of International Shipbreakers, and an individual who probably wasn’t too happy with me - now that I had succeeded in letting Baybridge into the Port. For those reasons, I was somewhat surprised that as I approached where Chambers was standing on my way to the restroom, he smiled at me, and reached out his hand to shake mine. I stopped, shook his hand and formally introduced myself. He told me he really appreciated what I had done in allowing Baybridge into the Port, adding that he was seriously considering applying for employment with Baybridge to manage
their Brownsville operation.
“I wished him well, and thanked him for the kind words. I asked if he was aware of the taxpayers lawsuit I had filed against Dannenbaum. He said he was and thought it was tremendous. I said ‘Great - would you like me to add you as a Plaintiff, ’ and asked if he owned property within the tax district? He said yes - he had a small place at the turning basin at the Port and asked if that was sufficient? I said it was, so he said to please add him to the case.
“As a brief aside, as lead plaintiff in the taxpayers’ suit, I am asking that the court declare the settlement the BND reached with Dannenbaum void because of Dannenbaum’s failure to perform under the settlement agreement. That was the same result I was asking for when I filed the case and I was the only Plaintiff. The requested remedy hasn’t change and would be the same if I were the only plaintiff or if there were 100 plaintiffs. Adding Barry Chambers as a plaintiff does not change the remedy and doesn’t confer any benefit on either he or I or on any other plaintiff. He and all other plaintiffs are simply saying, ‘I agree, and will take a public stand as well.’
“I added Chambers as a plaintiff on September 7, a little over a week after the August 29 vote to allow Baybridge into the Port. At that time, I did not know
what Chambers’ employment status was - whether he still worked for International Shipbreakers or whether he had in fact followed through and applied with Baybridge. Moreover, neither Chambers, nor any Plaintiff, nor any other person or entity for that matter have paid me a dime for the work I have done in the taxpayers’ litigation. And I haven’t and won’t ask any BND taxpayer to do so.
“Equally important, I have neither asked for nor received any contribution or payment of any kind from any shipbreaker - including Baybridge. And, I have not and will not ask for or accept any campaign contribution from Baybridge in the District Attorney’s race. My sole interest in advocating for and supporting Baybridge - as long ago as this past Spring - is for one thing and one thing only - it was and is the right thing to do.
“When it comes to bringing growth, industry and high paying jobs to our people, I have no conflicts but a lot of interest."
Returning to Mr. Chambers, he contacted me a couple of months ago, after he had been added as a Plaintiff, asking for my help as Commissioner with an insurance issue he and other turning basin lessees were having at the Port. My response - he should take his concern to BND staff and work it through the chain of command, which I told him I believed in very strongly. I didn’t think to ask and didn’t ask what his employment status was - that is, whether he had in fact been hired by Baybridge or whether he had even applied. It just didn’t occur to me and I didn’t give it any importance.
“Apparently Mr. Chambers did take his concern to BND staff and then gave a public comment about that issue at a board meeting. As recently as that meeting, which was either in September or October, I had no reason to think Chambers was working for Baybridge - after all, he was speaking to an issue he and other turning basin lessees were dealing with. The land Baybridge was interested in was across the channel from the turning basin.
“With respect to Mr. Chambers’ concerns at the turning basin, I never intervened on his behalf. In fact, I seem to recall that I, along with the rest of the Commissioners, voted against the position Mr. Chambers was advocating.
“Before the BND board voted unanimously on November 14 to authorize the Port Director to negotiate a lease for land Baybridge would need for parking space, I didn’t think to follow up with Barry Chambers again and ask if he was employed by Baybridge. I did not know and wasn’t told that he was the registered agent for Baybridge of Texas. (I learned that for the first time in the newspaper article). In fact, the first time I learned Chambers had been hired by Baybridge was on November 14, after the vote, when Port Director Campirano briefed Commissioners in Executive Session on the main lease negotiations with Baybridge, and that Campirano was dealing primarily with its local manager Barry Chambers.
“Even when I heard that, however, it didn’t cross my mind that Chambers’ being a Plaintiff in a taxpayers’ declaratory judgment lawsuit posed any conflict of interest. It didn’t and it doesn’t.
“However, I understand some may feel differently. I respect their right to their opinion. I did nothing wrong. I did nothing unethical. I apologize to those who might have been confused by my actions. I hope and trust I have set the record straight.”
END
For more information:
COMMITTEE TO ELECT PETER ZAVALETTA
Tracey M. Zavaletta, Treasurer
5261 Wilderness Drive
Brownsville, Texas 78526
Telephone
(956)
546-5567
Facsimile
(956)
541-2205
email: peter@thezavalettalawfirm.com
Sunday, November 18, 2007
“NO CONFLICTS BUT A LOT OF INTEREST”
Posted by
The Merovingian
at
10:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I say the Quarterback just scored again.
I was surprised the Brownsville Herald even wrote an article about this issue because I just didn't get what the problem was. Now after reading Mr. Zavaletta's lengthy and detailed explanation, all doubts about his conduct should be put to rest. I am satisifed and thank Mr. Zavaletta for taking the time to do this.
To ARmando Villalobos and his supporters who are so obviously desperate to divert attention away from his horrible performance as DA by making up stories about his opponent, I say this:
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!!
Losers
M,
Can you get the picture a bit larger?
K
Yea, it was a bit out of proportion. Bloggers choices are a lot like the fast food places, small, medium,large and those are related to the source size resolution.
I'll get better.
M.
I got 3 tickets for today's Pedro Zavaletta's fun party:
one for Melly Zamora
one for Allison Kennamer
one for me (el vato).
the tickets are paid for already........
p.s next pedro's party ( i will buy tickets for K, M, ER, and BWC.
I like how the Merovingian allows for the candidates to defend themselves on the blog posts. It would be nice to see Villalobos do the same to really get a good debate going. This blog is as well done as Bobby Whiteman-Cervantes' blog.
"It would be nice to see Villalobos do the same to really get a good debate going."
I am begining to wonder if Villalobos knows how to use a computer. I have never gotten and electronic whiff of him on the net. I think it would be a great thing, but a on a bit of a sad note, not a huge number of potential voters would be directly affected. It is true, however, that the folks who frequent the blogs are more politicly and socially interactive and the perception that those readers are left with are the ones they take to meetings and cocktail parties.
This blog is as well done as Bobby Whiteman-Cervantes' blog.
Thank you for the complement.
M.
M ,why did EPT not investigate before her article on this red herring .Is the BH in bed with the bad guys? Are the bad guys buying ads ? What gives ?
M ,why did EPT not investigate before her article on this red herring .Is the BH in bed with the bad guys?
I believe that this is an object lesson to everyone.
Choose what you say carefully. Nobody knows what is in your head unless you convey the immage correctly with words.
M.
Post a Comment