Thursday, November 29, 2007

-- To Diet or not to Diet


Fat Kid Successfully Avoids Ridicule By Swimming With Shirt On


In The Know: Should We Be Shaming Obese Children More?

As promised I would handle the issues put before me.

-Diet or not-

In short, NO. The real problem is exercise. That is it. All of it. Period.

Active people, not those who describe themselves as active in phone polls from the couch with a remote in one hand and the other digging in a bowl of chips, do not have weight problems.

As a people we have gotten so fat and lazy that we blame everyone else for what they put in the food we shovel down our gullets while driving our Lincoln Navigators to sit at the movies, then home to veg in front of cable TV.

Of course, here I am perched before a keyboard calling the kettle black, however I lead a very active lifestyle and I can eat anything and as much of it as I want. When I get 'that ice cream feeling' that one gallon pail of cookies n' cream ain't safe.

Why do we have fat kids? Nintendo. Plain and simple. Kids have too many hand-eye toys and not enough upper torso strength activities. The other reason is that parents would rather shove a ho-ho in a kid's hand than discipline them for whining. Every time I see a fat kid at the mall, I have a serious urge to take a swing at their parents.

Well, I guess that is enough for now. I expect a slew of responses from 'fat appologists'

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If by 'fat apologist', you mean an overweight person that says sorry compulsively, well then, I'm sorry, but I don't know how to respond to that.

All I can say is that violence is not the answer, unless it burns calories. Taking a swing at people at the mall seems like something that would work the upper torse. And if the prospective recipients of your exercise have a chance to duck, then they can work their upper torso as well.

But remember, you can be thin and go into a diabetic coma or have a heart attack also. Or, you can just be enjoying a stroll at the mall when some maniac takes a swing at you for no apparent reason.

Patricia A.

The Merovingian said...

A "fat apologist" runs around saying "It's McDonalds fault!" or "It is the processed foods industry!" or just about anyone except the one wolfing down the twinkie while watching Opra. It also applies to men who, after a hard day of sitting on their butts at the office, come home to 1/2 a dozen beers with Monday Night football and throw a fit when their doctor doesn't know whether to measure their height standing or laying down. The apparent reason is 5 yr old kids that look like they are going to audition for the next butterball commercial.

M.

Anonymous said...

Very funny "news".

There are definitely issues in which the power of stigma is underutilized.

Patricia A.

Shaine Mata said...

Only two ways to lose weight. Eat less, exercise more, or both.

The Merovingian said...

Only two ways to lose weight. Eat less, exercise more, or both.

Modifiying diet alone won't do it. It will stop the gain and stabilize the weight at a lower plateau, but physical activity will make it go faster and lower the plateau.

Mas Triste said...

Mero,

Okay. It has been up long enough.

Please pull the viedo of my summer camp experiences down.

Kurgan

 
The Merovingian - Blogged