Wednesday, December 3, 2008

UFOs,ETs, The Universe, and Politicians

It is almost a statistical certainty that there is other life in the universe. The only thing that makes the Earth unique is that we are here to take notice of it. Whether there is sufficiently technologically advanced intelligent life, and if said life is within the timescale/distance from us to make meaningful contact is, of course, open to debate. The odds of such potential life being within some framework of parity with our own intelligence is appallingly small, not to mention the high likelihood of having no common frame of reference in order to engage in meaningful exchange. As an example, look at our marine mammals: Highly intelligent, no common frame of reference with modern man, hence no meaningful communication.

Have we been visited? I highly doubt it.

The size of the universe is unquantifiable. If one finds truth in Super String, or Super Symmetry theory then the extra dimensions involved that have shrunken to almost insignificance really gum up the works over intergalactic distances, making attempts at three dimensional measurements bogus.

On the "apparent size" issue I have looked at anomalies that would otherwise break current understandings of the age and beginnings of the universe. I am referring to astronomical oddities called "Faint Blue Objects". These show up on long exposure photographic plates and are thought to be galaxies at incredible distances from us. The problems with these objects are that they are too far away to fit current theories as to the age and expansion of the universe following the big bang. In addition, the further an object is from us, the more the visual spectrum should be shifted to the red, in keeping with the "red shift" predicted in the expanding universe.

So, are all the elegant theories as to the nature of the universe wrong? Are we surrounded with philosophy majors playing at scientist? In my mind, not really.

Einstein and others accept the curvature of space as a given. I am not personally sure which of the current theories adequately explain why, but at present I will accept that space itself is curved. If this is indeed the case, then looking "straight" out for immense distances should, in fact, be looking along the edge of a curve. Which direction it is curved, I do not know if I can comprehend, or if it can even be expressed within our three dimensions, but for the purposes of fitting observed anomalies within the framework of current theory, this is not important for now.

The repeatable, observable phenomena of the "Faint Blue Objects" would appear to me to be looking at our own backsides, billions of years in the past. The objects are blue shifted in spectrum because they are expanding toward us (or away from us, in the opposite direction, depending on how you prefer to look at it) This view doesn't break any current theories, adequately explains the apparently excessive distances that these objects exist at, the fact that they are uniformly shifted in the blue direction of the spectrum, and their density, as we are looking so far into the past.

This model implies that the universal "plane" on which we exist is much like the inside wall of an expanding balloon, if I may be allowed to compress a few dimensions into two for the purposes of explanation. We are only allowed to look along the inside wall of this balloon in any direction, as that is the plane on which we exist. As the balloon expands, every point in every direction that we observe appears to be moving away from us. So far, so good, red shift explained. If we look along one "straight line" far enough, we will see ourselves, but far distant in the past, due to the limitations on the speed of light. What we would observe is the leading edge of the expansion moving away from us in the past at the speed of the expansion of the universe, apparently heading toward us. "Faint Blue Objects" explained, no broken theories.

Where is the center of the universe? If you can accept my flattened model of three dimensional space into the two dimensions of the inside surface of an expanding balloon, then it should be obvious that the center of the universe lies in a direction that we cannot look, in a space that we have no way of perceiving. I find this personally disturbing, but I have to accept it, if I wish to remain intellectually honest with myself.

Now having thought about this for a couple of minutes, don't the petty, self-serving, self-aggrandizing, distracting, base,coarse,and just plain silly behaviors of the people that we choose as leaders fade to the insignificance they so richly deserve? Can you name a ONE that is remotely capable of following the explanation of the expanding universe that I have presented here, let alone UNDERSTANDING it?

The next time you hear the collection of baboons spouting off at the mouth and squandering whatever resources they can taint with their touch, don't become angry, simply oppose. They are stupid, one and all. I will make an exception if any one of them can intelligently discuss the matters I put forth here today, the odds of which, unfortunately are on par with having meaningful communication with an extraterrestrial intelligence.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you that special would pique your interest. I just figured you would have done it two weeks ago when I told you about the special programming. Biding your time as all ways I see.

Wes Blackmum

Anonymous said...

I find it really interesting to consider the ramifications of a curved space and its potential to the perception distances and the probabilities. I loved the TV show Babylon 5 and have the complete set of DVDs. They improve each time I watch them. Great post.

 
The Merovingian - Blogged